ULS VLS 6.60 Laser Cutter
The Universal Laser Systems VLS 6.60 is a 60 watt laser cutter / engraver capable of cutting a range of wood and plastic materials up to 1/4" (6.3mm) thick
The laser cutter is safe when used by properly trained makers following our SOPs and cutting only approved materials. Used improperly, laser cutters present several risks that need to be understood by all makers. The most important safety concerns specific to laser cutter use are Fire, Fumes, and Laser Radiation.
Use of this tool requires the completion of a safety and usage training module. This training may be found on the Sandbox Canvas course in this module. If this link does not work for you, ensure that you are enrolled in the course by going to ter.ps/Learn2Make and clicking on the 'Join this Course' or 'Enroll' button.
Self-training via this wiki, user manuals, or other sources is encouraged but does not substitute for the online training module. Students found using this tool without completing the Canvas training module are subject to disciplinary action which may include termination of Sandbox access.
The managers that have adopted this tool and can help you with using. Keep in mind these are not the only managers that know how to use this tool, feel free to ask any. Full list of adopted tools can be found here here.
Tips & Tricks
- How to markup a file in Adobe Illustrator (or other illustration software) to indicate what to raster engrave, vector engrave, or vector cut
- Tips and tricks for using Adobe Illustrator to prepare graphics for laser cutting
- Manually Focusing
- Using the Rotary Attachment
- Design and cut a finger-jointed laser box.
- Laser Engraving a Photograph How to adjust a photographic image file for best laser engraving.
- Rotary Accessory
- Focus Gauge
- Thickness Gauge
A downloaded copy of the VLS manual can be found on our shared drive
Manufacturer's Web Site
- Laser Power: 60 Watts
- Laser Material Processing Area (W x H): 32 x 18 in (813 x 457 mm)
- Maximum Part Size (W x H x D): 37 x 23 x 9 in (940 x 584 x 229 mm)
- Rotary Capacity Max Diameter: 8 in (203 mm)
- Motorized Z Axis Lifting Capacity 40 lbs (18 kg)
- Available Focus Lenses
- 2.0 in (50 mm)
- HPDFO™ (High Power Density Focusing Optics)
- Laser Platform Interface Panel Five button keypad
- Computer Requirements Requires dedicated PC with Windows® 7/8/10 32/64 bit and one available USB port (2.0 or higher)
- Optics Protection Available with Optional Air Assist
- Cabinet Style Free-Standing
- Overall Dimension (W x H x D) 44 x 39 x 36 in (1118 x 991 x 914 mm)
- Weight 325 lbs (147 kg)
- Power Requirements
- Exhaust Requirements
- Two 4 in (102 mm) ports
- 500 CFM @ 6 in static pressure (850 m3/hr at 1.5 kPa)