Please note that this tutorial assumes you already have a network connection established. If you have a UMIACS account, you already have access.
The UMIACS VPN is accessible through the Pulse Secure Client.
Connecting through the Pulse Secure client
- Download the client:
- Navigate to the download location in terminal. e.g.: cd ~/Downloads
- Install the package with dependencies, providing your password for sudo when requested.
sudo dpkg -i <insert_filename_here>.deb
- You will need to manually install the packages as shown here:
sudo apt-get install libnss3-tools net-toolsand then proceed with the Install.
- Start the client.
- and click 'Add' (+) under the connection section.
- Enter a name for your VPN connection and the server URL 'vpn.umiacs.umd.edu'
- Enter your UMIACS credentials and hit connect.
- When prompted for a secondary password, enter one of three options below (push, phone, or <press YubiKey>). For example, if you wish to push a notification to your device, type the word "push" into the secondary password box.
Second Credential Password Value: Result push Send a push verification to your Duo connected device phone Send a call verification to your Duo connected device. <press YubiKey> If you have a physical token then you would press the YubiKey for the one time password.
- Please note that registering a YubiKey for use with the VPN requires interaction with UMIACS Tech Staff. Please contact us if you would like to register a YubiKey for this purpose.
|Pro-tip: Select ‘Save Settings’ on the secondary authentication prompt to have Duo automatically use your preferred method.|
You should now be connected to the UMIACS VPN. You can close the window and the VPN will remain connected.
Checking VPN Status
- Launch the Pulse Client GUI
- Select the down arrow to show connection status.