This page outlines the various account types at UMIACS and their management methods.
Do not share any UMIACS-affiliated account for any purpose. Action may be taken against your account if you do so.
A traditional UMIACS account consists of the following components:
- Active Directory Account
- Provides access to UMIACS-supported computers, email, secgroup controlled resources, web services, and the VPN.
- Jira Account
- Provides access to the JIRA Request Tracker. Please note that it is possible to set a separate password for this account, at which point it will no longer be synced from your Active Directory Account. Changing your Jira password DOES NOT change your Active Directory Account password.
Guest / Collaborator Account
- Collaborator Accounts
- Sponsored account to provide temporary access to UMIACS Web Services for non-UMIACS collaborators.
Request a UMIACS account
Fill out the account request form located at the UMIACS Account Request webapp. Please note that for the PI field you will be entering your PI/Professor/Sponsor's account name here at UMIACS. Also indicate any labs you are a member of in the notes field to speed up access to your lab's resources.
Once the form is submitted, it will return to you your initial password for your accounts, please keep it. If you forget your password, you can always come to the UMIACS Helpdesk in 3109 IRB with a photo ID to reset it. Accounts can take anywhere from a few hours to a day for installation, depending on how quickly your PI approves your account.
We have the following policies in regards to our ActiveDirectory passwords:
- Minimum Password Length : 8 Characters (more is allowed)
- Minimum Character Classes : 3 Character Classes
- English uppercase characters (A - Z)
- English lowercase characters (a - z)
- Base 10 digits (0 - 9)
- Non-alphanumeric (For example: !, $, #, or %)
- Unicode characters
- Password cannot contain (or match a substring of 3+ sequential characters) of your username or any part of your first or last name.
- Password was not previously used in last 5 passwords.
- Password has not been compromised in a known data breach.
It is your responsibility to secure your password. Please try to choose a strong password and use secure protocols.
Changing account password
If you know your current password
- The UMIACS Password Web Application can be used to change the password for UMIACS and UMIACS Collaborator accounts.
If you do not know your current password
- Reset your password, you will be required to have already registered a mobile phone number and alternate E-mail address in our Directory Application.
- UMIACS Collaborator Accounts can always be reset by the sponsor in our Requests Application.
- Stop by the UMIACS Help Desk in room 3109 Iribe Center with a photo ID.
- If you are unable to physically stop by the UMIACS Help Desk, you can have your Account sponsor (PI) stop by the UMIACS Help Desk to reset the password on your behalf. The account sponsor will then be responsible to conveying the password to you in a secure manner. (i.e. Telephone, where they could identify you by voice)