Creating service admin user on OSX
When taking an Apple product to the Terp Store, it is critical that you create a Service Admin User on your computer before having it serviced. The technicians at the Terp Store require an admin user name and password, and if the pre-existing password is the same as your UMIACS domain login password, revealing it to the Terp Store technician would represent a security vulnerability. To remedy this, you must create a new temporary user account with administrator privileges that the Terp Store technicians can use to service your machine.
Creating the new account
- Make sure you are logged in to an administrator account on your MacBook
- Navigate to System Preferences (Click on the Apple Logo at the top lefthand side of the screen, and select "System Preferences" from the dropdown menu)
- From the System Preferences menu, select "Users and Groups"
- At the bottom left corner of the window, click the lock to allow changes to your settings (It will most likely require your password to make changes)
- On the lefthand side of the screen where it lists the users currently on the machine, click on the '+' button to add a new user
- By default, the new account will be set to a Standard account. Select the "New Account" dropdown menu and choose "Administrator" from the list
- The new user's full name should be "Service Admin," and the account name should be "serviceadmin"
- The password is up to you, so long as it's not the same as your UMIACS account password or your UMD Directory ID password
- Select "Create User"
When prompted by TerpTrader, you should give this account's credentials to the technician, not your UMIACS account credentials