Depending on the environment you'll be working in, you have two primary choices for mail. You can decide on our PC based solution Microsoft Exchange or a IMAP Email solution. Both provide scanning for Virus and Spam through our Barracuda Spam Firewall
Alternatively if you already have a Email provider you like we offer the ability to forward your Email.
You can update your Email preference through our Directory Profile Tool.
Microsoft Exchange Email
If you are accustomed with Microsoft Outlook and/or need a shared calendar then we offer the UMIACS Exchange service. If you work primarily on a PC, collaborate with primarily PC-based users, expect to email MIME attachments or just feel most comfortable with a PC based mail solution, the exchange mailserver is likely the best solution for you. Among other things, it also supports IMAP, vacation (auto-response) and virus filtering capabilities.
[[Exchange2013CalendarSharing] | Exchange 2013 Calendar Sharing]]
The link for the Exchange web interface is https://exchange.umiacs.umd.edu/owa. It is also on the front page of our intranet site (https://intranet.umiacs.umd.edu). Please note that the web interface works best in IE.
Our IMAP service is available as a simple multi-platform way of reading your mail. It provides powerful server-side mail filtering and vacation support. You can configure you own IMAP client (see below for a list of supported clients) or use our Webmail server to read your email.
|RHEL 6||Yes (4)||Yes (5)||Yes||Yes(2)|
|Ubuntu 12.04||Yes (4)||Yes||Yes||Yes(2)|
|Ubuntu 14.04||Yes (4)||Yes||Yes||Yes(2)|
|Mac OS X||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes(3)|
- - We support pine on Windows through PC Pine
- - Microsoft Exchange support is only available through the Outlook Web Access which is severely limited on non-IE browsers.
- - Microsoft Exchange support for Mail/Contacts/Calendar requires Mac OS X 10.8 or later.
- - On later RHEL or Ubuntu hosts, pine is no longer supported, and has been replaced by alpine.
- - On RHEL 6 hosts, Mutt is no longer installed by default. Please contact staff for install if you need this on a host.
- - On RHEL 7 hosts, Thunderbird is no longer supported and has been replaced by Evolution.