How do I login to the UMD Gmail system?
You can access your email through a browser by visiting https://mail.google.com/a/umd.edu/ and signing in with your
email@example.com email address.
If you already have a personal Gmail/Google account logged in, you may need to add a new Google account for your @umd.edu account. You can find out how to do this by reading Google documentation on this topic. The article also provides information on how to switch accounts.
How do I set up my mobile device (Android or iOS) to access the UMD Gmail system?
You can set up your Android or iOS mobile device to access your UMD Gmail mailbox by using the operating system's built-in mail app.
- Steps for Android: https://umd.service-now.com/itsupport/?id=kb_article_view&sysparm_article=KB0011226
- Steps for iOS: https://umd.service-now.com/itsupport/?id=kb_article_view&sysparm_article=KB0011227
What was the timeline for these migrations?
We notified everyone about the timeline for these migrations on May 1st 2020. We only instructed DivIT to migrate your mailbox if you notified UMIACS Technical Staff before May 26th 2020 at 9am that you wanted your mailbox migrated to the UMD Gmail system.
Migrations begun on May 26th 2020 at 9am.
What happened during my migration if I was handled by the Division of IT?
- On May 26th 2020 we modified your email forward in UMIACS to be your @g.umd.edu (UMD Gmail) address at 9am. We then notified you at your @umiacs.umd.edu address (which arrived up in your @g.umd.edu mailbox) that the forward was updated.
- If you chose to migrate your mailbox, we made a mail archive of your mailbox.
- We then notified DivIT that your forward was updated. DivIT then started the import of your mailbox if provided.
What folders were NOT migrated if I chose for my current email to be migrated to UMD Gmail?
The folders listed below were not migrated. They were however stored in the archives we performed.
- Exchange: Deleted Items and Junk E-Mail
- IMAP: Deleted Messages, Junk, and Trash
Can I use my current desktop client to read email with UMD Gmail?
Is there any training for UMD Gmail?
UMD provides access to a LinkedIn Learning course on Gmail essentials. Details can be found here.
What happened to my email stored at UMIACS?
We have archived all user mailboxes into our long term archives. You may request a copy of your email at any time and we will provide it in an archive format that you may import into a local mail client for offline use.
Can people still send email to my @umiacs.umd.edu address?
Yes. Any email to @umiacs.umd.edu is forwarded to your @umd.edu UMD Gmail address.
Can I still send email as my @umiacs.umd.edu address from UMD Gmail?
Yes. You need to set up your @umiacs.umd.edu address as a mail alias on your UMD mailbox by following Google's documentation. Our SMTP server is smtp.umiacs.umd.edu.
What if I forward my email to another service? Will I be impacted?
Users with accounts in UMIACS that were identified as having an appointment at the University of Maryland are required to have their UMIACS Email forward point to their @umd.edu email address. Users without an appointment at the University of Maryland can forward their email to any address of their choosing.
What about any mailing lists or mail aliases in UMIACS?
Mailing lists and mail aliases have continued to operate unchanged at UMIACS.