The Division of IT handled the migration for some individuals that previously forwarded their UMD mail to their UMIACS mailbox. We sent an email to all users that were covered by this on May 1st 2020 with the subject line "UMIACS Email Migration". If you received this email, you do not need to do anything on this page.
If you did not receive this email and are instead being directed here by a message received on May 5th 2020 with the subject line "UMIACS Email Self-Migration", you needed to update your email preference in our Directory app before June 2nd 2020 at 9am. If you did not do this, on June 2nd 2020 at 9am, the UMIACS Technical Staff updated your email forward to be your corresponding @umd.edu email address if you have/had one, or the last known email address we had on record for you if you do not and you used either our Exchange or IMAP service.
If you do not have a @umd.edu address and would like to update your email forwarding address to be a different one from the one that we changed it to:
- Log into our Directory app.
- Under the 'Email' section, change the listed address under Forward to the address of your choosing.
- Click Submit at the bottom of the page.
- Begin checking new email to your @umiacs.umd.edu address at the address you just chose.
Importing Email to UMD Mailbox
If you would like to import email from your previous provider into your UMD mailbox, follow these steps. This cannot be done by UMIACS staff as we have no administrative access to your UMD mailbox. If you run into any issues, please contact the Division of IT. Choose the appropriate section based on your previous UMIACS email preference.
- Contact staff if you would like an archive of your UMIACS mailbox. It will be a single file in PST file format, provided via a download link.
- Download the archive of your email from the link provided by staff.
- Download and install G Suite Migration for Microsoft Outlook.
- Follow DivIT's instructions to import your email from the PST file.
- Contact staff if you would like an archive of your UMIACS mailbox. It will be several files (one file per email folder that you had in your IMAP mailbox) in MBOX file format, compressed into a tarball and provided via a download link.
- Download the archive of your email from the link provided by staff and decompress it into the individual MBOX files.
- Download and install Mozilla Thunderbird and install the ImportExportTools NG add-on for it.
- Follow DivIT's instructions to import your email from the MBOX files.
- Search for instructions from your previous provider. We cannot encompass instructions for all possible providers here, though if you are able to export email in either PST or MBOX file format, you can follow the steps in either the Exchange or IMAP sections (respectively) to import email.