We support printing from user managed Mac OS X 10.7 or later machines. Please note that you have to be on a UMIACS network directly or connected to the VPN.
To start you need to open your System Preferences from your Dock or the Applications folder. Once you have opened it you will need to click Printers & Scanners from the Hardware panel.
Print & Fax
When the Printers & Scanners window appears you will need to create a new local printer by clicking the + icon in the lower left corner of the first pane in the window.
This will bring up a Add Printer dialog. Please ensure that you have selected IP.
- Set Protocol to Internet Printing Protocol - IPP
- Set Address to print.umiacs.umd.edu
- Set the Queue to printers/queue; in this example for cps3142 it would be printers/cps3142. You have to make sure the queue is prefixed by printers/. For clarification, the queue is typically the printer name.
- Set Name to the queue you are trying to use
- It will always select Generic Postscript Printer. If you need to access the more advanced features of a queue/printer you will need take extra steps, please see the Advanced section at the bottom of this page.
- Select Add
- You will be asked about enabling duplex. If you know the printer has the option, which is true for most of our printers, go ahead and enable it. Then hit OK. If you're not sure, just leave it disabled. You can always enable it after the queue is added.
You should now be able to print to this printer/queue from any Mac OS X print menu.