Hosting a Website
Hosting a website in OBJ is quite easy and can be done in a few simple steps. There are two different ways you can set up your OBJ bucket to host a static website.
First Method (Using the Web Interface):
- Log into OBJ and create a bucket. Make sure to choose a bucket name carefully since this will be part of the web URL.
- Upload your index.html file and error.html file (optional) on the bucket that you just created.
- Once the bucket is created, click on Bucket Settings
- On the settings page, click on the blue Make Public button.
- Under Website Hosting, enter the name of your index.html (and optionally error.html) file and hit Submit.
Second Method (Using the UMobj CLI):
- Set up your environment variables.
- On the shell enter
mkobj <bucket_name>to create a bucket. Your bucket name must be unique. You can enter
lsobj -lto see the existing buckets.
- Copy all the required files to the bucket:
cpobj [source_directory]/* <bucket_name>:. For example,
cpobj /fs/www-users/jayid-test/* jayid-test:
- Create a web configuration for your bucket:
webobj -m create -c website --index=index.html --error=error.html <bucket_name>
Note: Once the bucket is configured and all the .html files are uploaded, please log into your UMIACS Directory and update the Home Page to
http://<Bucket_name>.umiacs.io. Replace <Bucket_name> with the name of the bucket you created.
Accessing the Website
You can access your personal website by using the default URL which has the form
http://<Bucket_name>.umiacs.io. Alternatively, you can also visit
www.umiacs.umd.edu/~username to visit your website.