Windows Account Migration March 2018
When: Saturday, March 24th 2018 from 8am-11:59pm
Currently UMIACS provides two user authentication stores, our Linux/UNIX Kerberos5 realm and Windows Active Directory (PC). To simplify our user experience we will consolidating authentication into a single Active Directory domain (UMIACS).
UMIACS staff will need to migrate all UMIACS user Windows accounts to a new domain to prepare for a single password for users in UMIACS. This migration step will start this process by moving from our existing Windows Active Directory domain (PC\username) to a new one (UMIACS\username). After this migration is completed we will be communicating about a one month password consolidation from our UNIX Kerberos5 domain in a follow up announcement.
No files or emails will be lost as part of this migration.
Actions you need to take
- Log off your Windows workstation (if you have one) prior to 8am on Saturday, March 24th, otherwise you will be forcibly logged out at this time.
Service impact during this Migration
- Your password will NOT change.
- Authentication to the Pulse Secure VPN will not be available during this migration window. Existing sessions will not be terminated during the window and we will extend session time for up to 48 hours. If you require the VPN during this time please make sure you authenticate and maintain your connection before the outage window starts.
- Windows workstations will be unavailable to log into during this migration window.
- Exchange email access will be interrupted during this migration window. Exchange email will be delivered however will not be accessible from phones, Outlook, or Outlook Web Access until after the migration has concluded.
After the migration has completed
- We will post an announcement on https://intranet.umiacs.umd.edu when the migration has completed and will send a follow-up email announcing this.
- Your Windows account format will change from
PC\usernamewhere you are required to specify a domain. You must use this username format going forward. Services that will require this new format: