Windows Patch Management
Note: As of version 2017 LANDesk has rebranded to Ivanti. Some shortcuts/etc. may now be referenced by Ivanti rather than LANDesk.
In order to combat the ever increasing number of 3rd party security vulnerabilities on Windows machines, UMIACS staff has deployed LANDesk Patch Manager. As security threats have evolved from the operating system to applications we have had to take this step in order to maintain operational security for the Institute. Currently the updates are focused on applications that are exposed to the internet such as Firefox, Flash, Acrobat, Java, etc.
Patches are deployed during the week leading up to the maintenance window.
- Desktops will scan for updates to be installed every night between 7:30pm and 9:30pm. If you are not logged in during those times, the system will automatically install the patches and reboot if necessary. If you remain active on your system during those times, you will see a popup with the scan beginning and (once patches are downloaded) a prompt from LANDesk asking to begin installing patches.
- Laptops will scan for updates to be installed at least once every day (assuming the laptop is powered on). This will only occur when the laptop has an active Internet connection (wired or wireless). You will receive a notice from LANDesk when the patches are ready to be installed.
Installation can be deferred until lock/logoff if desired. If you do not respond to the prompt within a given time, installation will automatically proceed:
- Desktops: 24 hours
- Laptops: 3 hours
If a reboot is required after installation finishes, you will receive another pop up. It is highly suggested to reboot right away due to system instability and vulnerability. However, reboot can be deferred for a maximum of another 6 days if desired. If you do not respond to the prompt within a given time, the machine will automatically reboot:
- Desktops: 24 hours
- Laptops: 9 hours
This should only need to be done on laptops or home machines in the event that LANDesk has not had a large enough time window to scan your computer since last month's patches were released. Please note you will need an active Internet connection for this to work, however you do not need to be on the UMIACS VPN.
- Search for "Security Scan" from the Start menu and click it. The scan will begin. Patches will be detected and downloaded.
- Note: The scan may fail on the "Checking for other running scanners" step if LANDesk is already running an invisible scan in the background. If this occurs, wait 10-15 minutes and then retry the scan.
- After all patches have been downloaded, you will be prompted to allow the install to begin.
- After all patches have been installed, you may be prompted to reboot.