This page outlines the steps required to enable Multi Factor Authentication (MFA) for the Pulse Secure VPN. Please note that this is mandatory as of May 10th, 2019.
- Device enrolled with UMIACS Duo
The Pulse VPN multi-factor authentication implementation relies on a secondary authentication source to fulfill the MFA requirement. As a result, you will be prompted for credentials twice.
- First credential: UMIACS Username & password
- Second credential: Your preferred MFA verification option:
|Secondary Password Value:||Result|
|push||Send a push verification to your Duo connected device|
|phone||Send a call verification to your Duo connected device.|
|<press YubiKey>||If you have a physical token then you would press the YubiKey for the one time password.|
Please note that registering a YubiKey for use with the VPN requires interaction with UMIACS Tech Staff. Please contact us if you would like to register a YubiKey for this purpose.
|Pro-tip: Select ‘Save Settings’ on the secondary authentication prompt to have Duo automatically use your preferred method.|
MFA Push Configuration Example:
- Connect with your existing Pulse VPN profile
- Enter your UMIACS credentials for the first authentication box and tick "Save settings".
- Type `push` into the password field on the second authentication box, tick "Save settings", and then click Connect. You should then receive a push to your mobile device to complete authentication. This will occur every time you connect to the VPN going forward.