Windows Account Migration March 2018
When: Saturday, March 24th 2018 from 8am-11:59pm
Currently UMIACS provides two user authentication stores, our Linux/UNIX Kerberos5 realm and Windows Active Directory (PC). To simplify the user experience we will be consolidating authentication into a single new Active Directory domain (UMIACS). At the end of the consolidation, you will be able to use a single password for all UMIACS services.
To prepare for this change, UMIACS staff need to migrate all UMIACS Windows accounts to a new domain. This migration starts by moving your account from our existing Windows Active Directory domain (PC\username) to a new one (UMIACS\username). After this migration is completed we will follow up with an announcement detailing the final steps of the password consolidation process.
No files or emails will be lost as part of this migration.
Actions you need to take
- Log off your Windows workstation (if you have one) prior to 8am on Saturday, March 24th, otherwise you will be forcibly logged out at this time.
Service impact during this Migration
- Your password will NOT change.
- Authentication to the Pulse Secure VPN will not be available during this migration window. Existing sessions will not be terminated, allowing you to continue using the VPN through the migration. Two days prior to the migration, we will extend the default VPN session limit to 48 hours in order to minimize your disruption. If you require the VPN during this time please make sure you authenticate and maintain your connection before the outage window starts.
- Windows workstations will be unavailable to log into during this migration window.
- Exchange email access will be interrupted during this migration window. Exchange email will be delivered however will not be accessible from phones, Outlook, or Outlook Web Access until after the migration has concluded.
After the migration has completed
- We will post an announcement on https://intranet.umiacs.umd.edu when the migration has completed and will also send a follow-up email.
- Your Windows account format will change from
UMIACS\usernamewhere you are required to specify a domain. You must use this username format going forward. Services that will require this new format: