The following pages outline the procedures and best practices for creating and requesting orders.
Requesting UMIACS Orders
- Verbosity is always preferred to lack of critical details.
- Ticket descriptions should contain a list of specific items being ordered (provide direct links) unless you're attaching an official quote. Please do not include wishlists or links to carts.
- If priority shipping is required, please include that in the subject of the email.
Before proceeding: If the account you plan on charging is owned by the Computer Science Department, please consult their FAQ for ordering the equipment you want.
Option 1: Using the web form
Fill out the form here and click Submit. This will automatically generate a ticket for staff to action on.
Option 2: Sending email to staff directly
We offer a simple Form that you can fill out and send to email@example.com along with any applicable quote(s). Please make sure that you CC the PI or include the email confirmation for any accounts that require committee approval (e.g., RQS).
Otherwise, please follow these instructions.
- Please CC the PI for the KFS account you want to charge.
- In the body of your email:
- Specify the KFS account to charge.
- Specify the items using links or attached quotes and specify the amount of each item. Please do not use wishlists or carts.
- Quotes must include any applicable shipping costs.
- If ordering from numerous vendors:
- Send one email per vendor. Otherwise, UMIACS staff will separate your request into different emails/Jira tickets anyway.
- Specify if you want priority shipping per vendor. If no shipping speed is selected, the lowest cost shipping that still provides tracking will be used.
- Specify the purpose of the purchase (brief description). If on sponsored funds such as federal grants, the description should also provide how the purchase relates to the purpose of the project.
Option 3: Submitting order within Jira yourself
Log into the Jira web interface at https://intranet.umiacs.umd.edu/jira/servicedesk/customer/portals and select the UMIACS Orders option.
- If the order is being requested by CBCB, IMD, MC2, QuICS, or RQS, prepend the summary with [CBCB], [IMD], [MC2], [QuICS], or [RQS] respectively.
- This should be of the format "Vendor | Brief Description".
- If the order must be placed today, this will instead be "PRIORITY TODAY | Vendor | Brief Description".
- This should be the account (KFS) to be charged. Please be as specific as possible. Account number is preferred, but if you don't know it, a specific description is OK (e.g., don't say "DRIF" since there are multiple DRIF accounts, instead say "UMIACS DRIF", or "CBCB DRIF", etc.)
- In the event that a single order has multiple accounts, list them all and specify which items are being charged to what accounts (or what percent of an item is being charged to an account) in the description.
- A PI (Principal Adviser) who has approved the purchase on the KFS account.
- In some cases, multiple PIs can charge to a single KFS account.
- Provide a description of what you want to buy or provide it in a comment before you submit your order.
- When possible, provide a link to the item to be purchased.
- When purchasing through Amazon or a site that provides fulfillment for third party vendors, please state the specific vendor that is providing the item and at what price. This is to prevent errors caused by ordering from a different vendor when the site auto-updates.
- It's good to be polite with your description. ex - "Hi, please purchase $requestedItems. Here are the links/relevant information: $relevantInformation. Thanks!"
When Staff Receives the Order
- As long as the PI is CC'd and all needed information is present, we will go ahead and process the order.
- You will receive an email to pick up the order(s) when it arrives.