Difference between revisions of "PrinterQueueNaming"
|Line 10:||Line 10:|
Revision as of 15:26, 5 April 2018
UMIACS uses a centralized print server to manage all of the printers in the Institute. See [Printing] for more details specific to your OS. We have developed a naming scheme for our printer queues based on the colors the printer can produce, the type of queue, and the room number.
The naming scheme is as follows:
- All color printers begin with a "c". Black & white is the default so nothing extra is needed.
- Then is either "ps" for a postscript queue or "pcl" for a PCL queue. Postscript and PCL are types of printer drivers. If you are unsure what this means, use "ps" for postscript.
- Then add the room number. All printers in the Bio Sciences Building also add the building number. E.g., room 3120H in BSB is "296-3120H" while room 3142 in AV Williams is "3142".
- cps3142 is a color printer in AV Williams 3142.
- ps3142 is a black & white printer in AV Williams 3142.
- pcl3142 is a black & white printer in AV Williams 3142 but uses a PCL driver.
- cps296-3120H is a color printer in BSB.